Contact: Katryn Conlin, Communications Director
35 MSC Southeast Students beginning Fall Semester 2019 with Workforce Development Scholarships
MSC Southeast Winona scholarship recipients gathered with Chad Dull, Vice President of Academic Affairs, on September 24 to celebrate the Workforce Development Scholarships program.
Front Row: Chad Dull, Audrey Wenzel, Erin Schendel, Kathleen Schwab, Pojo Rutske, Tucker Hemmelman, Demi Brau; Back Row: Austin Banks, Michael Dooney, Clayton St. Sauver, Laura Schleich, Sarah Kuiper, Natalie Hundorf, Amber Holdorf
MSC Southeast Red Wing scholarship recipients gathered with Dean of Health Science Jennifer Eccles on September 24 to celebrate the Workforce Development Scholarships program.
Front Row: Oluwakemi Sosanya, Kalesha Drake; Back Row: Ari Tapper, Patrick Welch, Jennifer Eccles, Aiden Mohan, Isaac Hale
35 students will be supported by Workforce Development Scholarships in the 2019-2020 academic year, totaling, $87,500 in student aid.
The ongoing shortage of qualified employees in Southeast Minnesota has been an issue for the region's employers over the past few years, and the demand seems to be ever increasing.
Recognizing the need for more college-level training in high-skilled, high demand occupations, the Minnesota State Legislature allocated funding for a program piloting Workforce Development Scholarships in 2017.
During the pilot, Minnesota State College Southeast initially awarded sixteen $2500 scholarships for students in high-demand career and technical programs in 2018-2019.
For the 2019-2020 academic year, the college initially awarded eight $3500 scholarships. The first round of Fall 2019 recipients was announced in June (see press release).
The program was considered so successful that Minnesota Legislature and Governor Walz approved an appropriation adding $7 million to the statewide Workforce Development Scholarship program at the end of the Spring 2019 legislative session.
That made it possible to award a second round of eighteen $2500 Workforce Development Scholarships to Minnesota students who began college at MSC Southeast this fall.
With additional funding for nine scholarships from Minnesota State College Southeast Foundation, a final total of 35 students will be supported by Workforce Development Scholarships in the 2019-2020 academic year, totaling $87,500 in student aid.
"The Workforce Development Scholarships are a great way to encourage students to pursue careers in high-skill, high-demand, high-wage occupations. As a society, we are finally realizing that trade, technical, and health occupations are what make the world go around," said Larry Lundblad, Interim President of Minnesota State College Southeast. "It is great to see that the legislature is providing the resources to encourage students to pursue these career fields."
Fall 2019 Workforce Development Scholarship Recipients (Second Round)
- Brady J. Adams, Winona, MN -- CNC Machine Tool
- Demi Braun, Winona, MN -- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Christopher Czaplewski, Winona, MN -- Cyber and Information Technology
- Michael Dooney, Lakeville, MN -- Network Administration & Technology
- Kalesha Drake, Red Wing, MN -- Practical Nursing
- Kaylan Glenn, Winona, MN -- Practical Nursing
- Christopher Graf, Houston, MN -- Welding
- Tucker Hemmelman, Winona, MN -- CNC Machine Tool
- Amber Holdorf, Winona, MN -- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Natalie Hundorf, Winona, MN -- Radiography
- Trent Hungerholt, LeRoy, MN -- Web Design
- Danielle Johnson, Brooklyn Park, MN -- Radiography
- Sarah Kuiper, Saint Charles, MN -- Practical Nursing
- Katelynn Lange, Winona, MN -- Sustainable Food and Farming
- Jaedyn Long, Lecenter, MN -- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Marshal Majerus, St. Charles, MN -- Radiography
- Amanda Rahn, Houston, MN -- Radiography
- Ethan Ringo, Rollingstone, MN -- Heavy Diesel Mechanic
- Brittany Sanborn, Goodhue, MN -- Practical Nursing
- Erin Schendel, Winona, MN -- Radiography
- Laura Schleich, Winona, MN -- Radiography
- Holley Schmidlapp, Winona, MN -- Sustainable Food and Farming
- Kathleen Schwab, Winona, MN -- Practical Nursing
- Oluwakemi Sosanya, Red Wing, MN -- Practical Nursing
- Ari Tapper, Deephaven, MN -- Bicycle Design and Fabrication
- Patrick Welch, Northfield, MN -- Bicycle Design and Fabrication
- Audrey Wenzel, Lewiston, MN -- Early Childhood Education AAS
About Minnesota State College Southeast
Minnesota State College Southeast is a two-year technical and community college that prepares students for a lifetime of learning by providing education for employment, skill enhancement, retraining, and transfer, to meet the needs of students and the community. The Winona campus opened in 1949, merging with the Red Wing campus in 1992 and updating its name to Minnesota State College Southeast in 2016 with the change of mission to offer both technical training and the associate of arts degree. Minnesota State College Southeast is a member of Minnesota State. For more information, visit www.southeastmn.edu.