Band Instrument Repair
A graduate of the band instrument repair (BIR) program possesses the entry-level skills necessary for employment and advancement in this rewarding, viable career option.
In nine months of comprehensive study, this 42-credit* diploma program will teach you the fundamentals of repairing clarinets, trumpets, flutes, trombones, saxophones, French horns, oboes, bassoons and large brass. You will also learn how to fabricate tools and instrument parts using lathes, drill presses, grinders, sanders and bench motors.
You will join graduates from around the globe who are successfully employed in repair shops associated with music stores, school districts or independent repair shops.
The training is rigorous, requiring tenacity and a desire for excellence.
Southeast Technical in Red Wing also offers programs in Violin Repair and Guitar Repair and Building. For more information, go to www.redwingmusicrepair.org.
*Includes six general education requirements credits.
Program Learning Outcomes
Program graduates will be able to:
- Evaluate, repair and play test a clarinet, flute, sax, oboe and bassoon.
- Evaluate, repair and play test a trumpet, trombone, horn, and large brass.
- Perform basic fabrication techniques using a lathe, drill press, sander and grinder.
- Exhibit attitudes and behaviors commensurate with employer expectations.
- John Huth has his Bachelor of Music Degree from Bowling Green State University and his Master of Music Degree (Trumpet) from the Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music. He was apprentice-trained as a repair technician and joined the teaching faculty of Southeast Technical in 1987. John is a Master Repair Clinician in the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT) and has presented numerous clinics throughout the United States.
Learn more about John Huth.
- Greg Beckwith is a graduate of Interlochen Arts Academy in Michigan. He attended Eastman School of Music in New York and The St. Louis conservatory of Music in Missouri, for horn performance. He has held positions as a horn player in various performance groups including the Air Force Band. Greg is a graduate of the BIR Program at SE Technical in Red Wing. He was a repair technician at Davenport Instrument Repair in Brooklyn Center, MN prior to his present position at the college. He has been teaching courses in the BIR program since 2003. He continues to freelance on horn in the Twin Cities and play extra with the Minnesota Orchestra when possible.
Learn more about Greg Beckwith.
- Lucas Pemberton is a graduate of the Red Wing Repair Program in 1998. Prior to joining the BIR program Lucas was lead repair technician for Ekroth Music Stores in their White Bear Lake, MN location. He has been a substitute and an adjunct instructor in the BIR program since 2000. As an active member of NAPBIRT he has presented clinics at both regional and national conferences. Lucas was also one of three clinicians to present a hands on clinic, the first to be presented in this manner, at the 30th anniversary NAPBIRT National Conference.
Learn more about Lucas Pemberton.