A high-quality program focused on connecting skilled, safe drivers with employers
Southeast Technical's Truck Driving program is well-renowned for top-notch instructors, state-of-the-art facilities, and best of all, 100% job placement. As a student, you'll enjoy a low student-to-instructor ratio to give you the attention you need.
Many trucking companies pre-hire qualified students once they are enrolled at Southeast Technical. After training is completed, our graduates are ready to get behind the wheel and earn a desirable income. Because highly skilled truckers are in demand, many companies offer tuition reimbursement and signing bonuses.
Truck driver training begins with 8 weeks of classroom and behind-the-wheel training, preparing students for the situations they may face on the road. During this 8-week sequence of training, the students will also prepare for the Class "A" commercial driver's license (CDL) road test. To complete the program, students must register for and complete an 8-week paid internship.
Because the program is so intense, attendance and attitude are crucial, just as they are once you're on the job. At Southeast Technical, you'll learn from the very best - our truck driving instructors have over 65 years of safe driving experience. Our motto:
"We have an obligation to our students, our community, and to other highway users to train the safest, most courteous drivers on the highway today. This is not an obligation we take lightly."
Special information about the Truck Driving program
- You must apply for admission to Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical, but you are not required to take the Accuplacer placement test.
- You will need a valid Class "A" CDL permit prior to the first class day.
- Your instructors will schedule required DOT physical and drug screening exams during the first week of class; the cost is included in your tuition.
|Major Title (Degree)
|Truck Driving (CERT)
Program Learning Outcomes
Program graduates will be able to:
- Shift various transmissions proficiently.
- Successfully back vehicle into specified maneuvers.
- Be aware of utilizing space management in different situations.
- Properly complete required daily paperwork.
- Recognize changing road characteristics and properly adjust.
- Tom Gierok dreamed of being a truck driver his entire life. His dream came true. Tom drove truck for ten years before becoming an instructor at Southeast Tech. He continues to be active in industry and drives over-the-road from time to time.
- Paul Foster has over 20 years of truck driving instruction experience, having taught at Lake Superior College in Duluth, Minnesota, and now at Southeast Technical. Along with teaching, Paul is a Third Party Road Test Examiner for the State of Minnesota. While in Duluth, Paul was involved with many different truck driving programs throughout the years. Paul is married and has one son who lives in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.