How to apply for admission to Minnesota State College Southeast

General Requirements

  • A one-time $20 non-refundable application fee
  • Completion of the Accuplacer Placement Exam
  • A high school diploma or GED

Exceptions to Application Process

Do not fill out and submit the online application form if:

Application Process

1 Bullet APPLY  

    • Returning Students: If you are returning to MSC Southeast after a lapse of attendance of one semester or more (summer excluded), please complete a new online application to the college. This application must be submitted at least one week prior to registration. Returning students do not need to pay the college's $20 application fee.
    • Some programs have special entrance requirements.
    • Military veterans and National Guard members applying for veteran's educational benefits must supply a copy of Form DD-214, indicate the total credits taken each term, and notify the college of any change in address.

 2 Bullet TEST 

After you have been accepted, you will be asked to complete the ACCUPLACER placement test. Students who already have an A.A.S. degree or higher, or a college transcript showing grades of "D" or better in comparable college level courses in mathematics and English, are exempt from taking the ACCUPLACER, but must provide a transcript verifying that they satisfy these requirements. Please see the “Submit needed documents” section below for more information.

    • You will not be allowed to register for courses until this step is completed.
    • You can register online for the ACCUPLACER or call 507-453-2700 (Winona) / 651-385-6300 (Red Wing) for assistance. 
    • If you are unable to test on campus, this test can be administered by a proctor. You need to find an education official to proctor the test and must complete and submit the Student Proctor Agreement Form.


    • Transcripts: Request documentation to validate high school graduation, attainment of a General Equivalency Diploma or official transcript documenting an A.A.S. degree or higher. (A signature and a fee may be required by the school prior to their mailing out a transcript.) Visit our Transfer Students page if you have attended another higher education institution.
    • Immunization record: Minnesota law (MS 135A.14) requires that all students enrolled in more than one credit-based course in a term and born after December 31, 1956, are required to provide evidence of immunization for measles, rubella, mumps, diphtheria, and tetanus. Students who have graduated from a Minnesota High School in 1997 or later are exempt. Some majors may have additional health requirements. Download the Immunization Form (PDF)

 4 Bullet REGISTER 

You will be required to participate in an orientation session before classes begin. At orientation, you will meet you academic advisors, register for courses, and purchase your Student Photo ID.

To register for courses, you will be issued a Student ID and PIN, as well as a Registration Access Code. You can register for courses online through the first five days of the semester (some exceptions may apply).

    • Students enrolled in an online course are also asked to attend a Desire to Learn (D2L) Orientation. Sessions will be held on both the Red Wing and Winona campuses. For more information, please contact the front desk at Winona 507-453-2700 or Red Wing 651-385-6300.
    • Students who enroll in an online class must login to class the first day of the term to confirm enrollment.
    • Online students should email their instructors during the first two or three days of the semester. All staff email addresses are 

Next steps...


Financial aid is available (grants, loans, scholarships, and work study) to eligible MSC Southeast students. Apply for financial aid as early as possible! 


You can pay tuition and fees online via the college's registration system. You will be charged for each course for which you registered unless you drop it within the prescribed time frame according to college policy.

The Winona and Red Wing bookstores stock textbooks and supplementary materials for all courses offered at the college. They accept Visa and MasterCard, cash and checks. You may be able to charge to financial aid if you have funding that exceeds your tuition. This can be done one week prior to the term and the first week of the term.