Gerdau is the fourth largest overall steel company and the second largest minimill steel producer in North America. The company has the capacity to manufacture over 12 million tons of mill finished steel products annually. Through an integrated network of minimills, steel scrap recycling facilities, and downstream operations, the company serves customers throughout North America.
We believe our employees are the best in the business. We have high standards and our employees constantly strive to reach even higher levels of success. Gerdau growth is based on our values and on a vision focused on excellence. We see customer satisfaction, the personal and professional growth of each employee, total safety in the workplace, a commitment to our stakeholders, employees, and communities, and profit as a measure of performance.
Gerdau is currently seeking a Machinist/Roll Turner for its St. Paul, MN facility.
To operate roll lathe for turning all types of new and used alloy iron, steel or steel alloy rolls to finished size and contour for rolling any shape or flat section. Roll Turner will work alone or direct works of helpers and other workmen as required in the Roll Shop.
1. Receives instructions, prints and work orders.
2. Interprets drawings and sketches. Plans and determines working procedure.
3. Performs any layout work required, including complex passes from blueprints or with aid of templates.
4. Calculates dimensions, tapers, etc.
5. Selects and grinds tools for the job in accordance with hardness, machinability and desired contour and surface of roll to be turned.
6. Sets up and operates lathe to turn any type of roll to finished size with close tolerances. Sets tool for each cut and manually adjusts on each revolution of the roll in the conventional type roll lathe, allowing finish cuts to run out to obtain perfectly true surfaces. Adjusts cutting speed in accordance with roll hardness, diameter, depth and width of cut.
7. Accurately machines complex passes involving deep and narrow flanges, and a combination of curved angular, and flat surfaces. Intermittently checks progress of cut with spirit level, protractors, calipers, rule, straight edge, templates, and feeler gauges. Tops off rolls as required to match passes.
8. Uses taper, branding and ragging attachments.
9. Lays out and makes tools.
10. Operates electrical disintegrator to brand rolls.
11. Turns mandrels for straightener mills and turns in-line reduction unit
12. When necessary removes collars and repairs passes at maximum speed to minimize loss of production.
• 2 years machine shop experience
• Machining Certificate required (additional education is helpful)
• Must be able to work rotating shifts
• All applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment physical exam that includes a drug screen, and a criminal background check.
To Apply Go To: https://gerdau.greatjob.net/jobs/EntryServlet?job=IGRGA&media=020
Gerdau offers opportunities for advancement in an ever challenging, high-tech environment based in St. Paul, MN. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the opportunity to grow with a world-class, multinational company. We recognize the contributions of our team members and provide opportunities for advancement.
Gerdau offers excellent benefits that start the FIRST DAY OF EMPLOYMENT!
Medical and Prescription
Health & Dependent Care (Flexible Spending Account)
Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
Health Advocate Services
Employee Assistance Program
Tuition Reimbursement Program
Gerdau is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to diversifying its workforce. All applicants must be legally eligible to work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
Pay rate: $25.75