Hardware and Software Requirements
To take a Web-based class, students are expected to provide their own:
Southeast Technical strongly recommends that your computer exceed all minimum requirements to optimize your educational experience. It is further expected that equipment is in working order throughout the term.
Software is also required for each online course, and students are expected to be able to use the software on a basic level.
- Word processing
- Microsoft Office 2010 Enterprise Edition (for ADMS, COMC & COMP courses):
- Southeast Technical has negotiated special pricing for students with Microsoft and other software publishers. Use the link below to access special savings on software.
- Most of the software can also be accessed via Terminal Services, but a fast Internet Connection is required (LAN, T1, etc.). Please check with the instructor.
- Some courses require specific software. See your instructor for specific requirements.
- The college's computers do not have the software needed for all online courses. The student is expected to have a PC, an Internet connection, and the required software installed on their computers.
- Special savings on Microsoft software: View and/or purchase software
Please note that the following specifications are minimum requirements. They should not be used as a guideline when purchasing a new computer. (Newly purchased computers and monitors should well exceed the requirements below.)
- Windows XP, Vista, or later
- 1.0 GHz or faster processor
- 1 or more gigabytes (GB) of RAM
- Sound card and speakers
- DVD drive
- Monitor capable of 24-bit color at 1,024 x 768 resolution or better
- DSL or Cable connection through an Internet Service provider (ISP)
a. Account plans offering a minimum of 1.5 MB download and 512 upload speed is recommended
- AOL may require special set up with AOL tech support
- Web browser & several, free Web browser plug-ins
Check Your System Now