Voices, guitars, violins, brass, piano and more: Strings, Winds & Brass at The Sheldon on April 16
Southeast Technical students and staff showcase their talents at The Sheldon Theatre for "Strings, Winds & Brass" variety showcase
From classical to pop, blues to bluegrass and beyond, Strings, Winds & Brass is an opportunity for the college students (and staff) of Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical in Red Wing to share their talents at the college's annual variety showcase.
Strings, Winds & Brass
Saturday, April 16, 2016
7 pm (doors 6:30 pm, all tickets general admission)
The Sheldon Theatre, 443 West 3rd Street, Red Wing
Purchase tickets at the box office, by phone (651-388-8700, toll free 800-899-5759) or online www.sheldontheatre.org
Southeast Technical students can purchase tickets for only $5 at the college bookstore
Southeast Technical's world-renowned band, guitar, and violin repair programs attract talented musicians from across the United States. In this year's show, more than 20 performers from as far afield as Idaho, Maine, Pennsylvania, and Florida will take the stage.
Classical selections include Samuel Barber's magnificent "Adagio for Strings," arranged for brass quintet, and Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Music of the Night" performed by lyric baritone Ethan Sherman. Violin repair instructor Lisbeth Nelson Butler will play "Ashokan Farewell," a beautiful violin melody by Molly Mason and Jay Ungar. Tenor William Jon Gerlock will sing the haunting Irish classic, "Danny Boy."
The variety continues with rock, blues, and folk guitar performances; the pop song "Say Something" interpreted by a vocal duet with piano and string bass; and a rollicking bluegrass group, The Sodbusters. This year's featured performers are:
• Carrie Allen, poet
• Michael Livingston, tuba; Joseph Rach, piano
• Kyle Nelson, guitar
• Blind Leading (Daniel Bernstrom, piano, vocals; Katryn Conlin, vocals; John Potts, string bass)
• Billy J. Kezar, guitar and voice
• Ethan Sherman, lyric baritone (with the Eagle Swoops Quintet)
• Machine Delilah (Loui Miller and Jairus Paulus, guitars and voice)
• Hoover/Potts Blues Implosion (Gregg Hoover, guitar; John Potts, electric bass)
• William Jon Gerlock, voice and violin; Sherry Gerlock, piano
• Eagle Swoops Quintet (Steven Clark, trumpet; Brian DeGayner, horn; Andrew Fridsma, trombone; Michael Livingston, tuba; Yue Xiong, trumpet)
• Lisbeth Nelson Butler, violin
• The Sod Busters (Ron Stafford, guitar; Phil Nusbaum, banjo; John Potts, string bass)
Advance tickets are $14.50 adults, $8.50 students. Tickets are an additional $3 if purchased day of show.
For tickets, call The Sheldon (651-388-8700, toll free 800-899-5759), visit the box office, or go to www.sheldontheatre.org.
Advance tickets are also available at the Southeast Technical bookstore (Southeast Tech students, only $5).
All tickets are general admission; doors open at 6:30 day of show.