Begin a rewarding career in health care with a two-year degree from Minnesota State College Southeast.
If your future career goals include a profession in health care, you will need an advanced education! Health Science Broad Field is a 2-year Associate of Science degree designed for transfer to any of the universities in the Minnesota State System, where you can earn a 4-year degree.
At Minnesota State College Southeast in Winona and Red Wing, you will meet the pre-requisites for further studies in a major such as community health, nursing, pre-medicine, dental hygiene, or allied health care management.
Build a solid educational foundation
Complete the full range of general education courses required for a four-year program, while emphasizing health science courses, including:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Terminology
Expect small class sizes, personal attention, and challenging courses at Minnesota State College Southeast! Plan on working closely with your MSC Southeast faculty advisor to stay on track with your coursework and long-term educational goals.
Apply now for admission to MSC Southeast
Download the Program Plan
Health Science Broad Field AS Degree - General Requirements
Download Health Science Broad Field Pathway Planning Worksheet (PDF)
- A minimum of 60 semester credits.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- A minimum cumulative MnTC GPA of 2.0.
- A minimum of 20 semester credits applied toward the degree must be taken at Minnesota State College Southeast.
- Completion of the specific degree requirements below:
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) Requirements - A minimum of 40 credits to complete all 10 goal areas. A MnTC course may satisfy more than one goal area, however, the credits only count once. TOTAL minimum credits to complete the MnTC ten goal areas: 40 credits
Required Minnesota Transfer Curriculum Courses (40 credits)
Goal 1 Communication
- ENGL 1215 College Writing I (3 credits)
- College Speech OR Interpersonal Communications (3 credits)
- ENGL 2525 College Writing II (3 credits)
Goal 3 Natural Science
- BIOL1226 Nutrition (3 credits)
- CHEM2518 General, Organic, Biochemistry (4 credits)
Goal 4 Mathematical/Logical Reasoning
- MATH1220 College Algebra (3 credits)
Goal 5 History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences
- PSYC1110 Intro to Psychology (3 credits)
- PSYC1115 Lifespan (3 credits)
- SOCS1110 Intro to Sociology (3 credits)
Goal 6 The Humanities and Fine Arts
- HUMA1125 Moral Problems/Ethics (3 credits)
- HUMA1445 Women's Studies (3 credits)
- SPAN1230 Hispanic Culture (3 credits)
Goal 7 Human Diversity (1 course, 3 cr)
Goal 8 Global Perspectives (1 course, 3 cr)
Goal 9 Ethical and Civic Responsibility (1 course, 3 cr)
Goal 10 People and the Environment
- BIOL1201 Intro to Biology (4 credits)
Career Focus Credits for Health Science Broad Field AS Degree (20 credits)
- INSP1525 Career & Education Planning (1 credit)
- Computer Course (3 credits) MATH1230 Statistics (3 credits)
- MEDS1110 Medical Terminology (2 credits)
- BIOL2515 Anatomy & Physiology I (4 credits)
- BIOL2516 Anatomy & Physiology II (4 credits)
- BIOL2531 Microbiology (3 credits)
Estimated Costs for this Major
|Minimum Tool Cost:||N/A|
The Health Science Broad Field AS is specifically designed for transfer to a 4-year degree at any Minnesota State university in a health care field, such as:
- Health Care Management
- Athletic Training
- Community Health
- Dental Hygiene
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
Students in Broad Field Health Science will:
- Demonstrate a sound foundational knowledge and understanding of the principles of biology, chemistry, nutrition, human anatomy, human physiology, and microbiology as it relates to the health sciences.
- Demonstrate basic laboratory skills pertaining to assessments, laboratory methods, sound experimental and analytical practices, data acquisition and reporting science and health care.
- Communicate effectively using appropriate scientific and medical terminology.
- Explore psychological, social, and ethical issues as they relate to health sciences and health care.
- Prepare for transfer to a 4-year baccalaureate program.
Health Science Broad Field AS Planning Worksheet (PDF)
- Narrow your focus, but keep your options open within the field of health care
- Fully transferrable to all Minnesota State 4-year Universities
- Small class sizes with ample personal attention and feedback
- Friendly, dedicated instructors who will know you by name and help you succeed
Instructors come from the college's Liberal Arts & Sciences department. Faculty leads for the Health Science Broad Field AS are:
Leah Schnaith has a B.A. in Chemistry from St. Olaf College and was awarded a Ph.D. in Bio-Inorganic Chemistry from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has been a chemistry instructor at the college several years and has also taught math. She has worked as a chemistry and math tutor in the Learning Resource Center. Prior to that, she worked in collaboration with the Red Wing School District in math and science enrichment.