Skip to main content
Minnesota State College Southeast
A Technical & Community College

COVID-19 Student FAQ  Last updated 2/24/2021

Please note that this page will be continuously updated as this situation develops.

For a list of community support resources, see the Minnesota Office of Higher Education website.

General Questions

Prospective Students

Academic Concerns

Health and Wellness

Campus Services 


Answers: General Questions

What is the COVID-19 Self-Assessment and why is it required?

To protect the health and safety of students and employees, MSC Southeast is requiring mandatory self-screening prior to entering campus buildings for potential exposure to COVID-19 and symptoms of COVID-19. You must complete the online COVID-19 Self-Assessment every day before you enter any campus building. Use the link at the top of the website to access the COVID-19 Self-Assessment. For more information, see the COVID-19 Self-Assessment page and download the  COVID-19 Student Decision Making Flow Chart (PDF).

What should I do if I am sick, suspect I have COVID-19, or test positive for COVID-19?

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, stay off campus, seek medical guidance, and get tested. 

  • Our COVID-19 Testing Options page lists locations and availability for getting tested. 
  • If you receive a positive test result for COVID-19, notify your instructor or Vice President of Student Affairs Josiah Litant (, 507-453-1420). 
  • If you must stay off campus, please communicate with your faculty with regard to your absence. Work with your instructors to try to stay on track with completing your coursework while absent.
  • Some people can still get sick again or spread the virus even if they have already had COVID or have been vaccinated. Even if you have recovered, it is recommended that you still wear a face covering and stay six feet away from people who do not live with you.
  • Before returning to campus, you must be able to pass the COVID-19 Self-Assessment, which includes having been cleared to leave quarantine by your medical provider.

What should I do if I have been exposed to someone who is being tested or has tested positive for COVID-19?

If you have been exposed to someone who is being tested for COVID-19, you should continue to self-monitor for symptoms and continue to practice social distancing and wear a mask.

If you have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, you must stay off campus 14 days from last contact and seek medical guidance. Note that you must stay off campus for 14 days from last contact even if you yourself receive a negative COVID-19 test. 

NOTE: Exposure is defined as having:

  • Been within 6 feet of a person for at least 15 minutes (cumulative in a 24 hour period), OR
  • Had direct contact with a person’s mucus or saliva, OR
  • Been contacted by public health and told you were in close contact with someone known to have COVID-19. 

If you have completed your vaccines and are exposed to COVID-19, you do not have to quarantine if all of the following are met:

  • The exposure was at least 14 days after your series was completed
  • The exposure was within 90 days of your final dose
  • You don’t have any symptoms currently.

Note that there are different guidelines for those working in healthcare sites, and individuals in that category should refer to the MDH website for guidance.

When and how can I get a vaccine for COVID-19?

Minnesota has launched the COVID-19 Vaccine Connector, a new tool to help Minnesotans find out when, where, and how to get their COVID-19 vaccine. Sign up now to get notified when you are eligible and an appointment is available. Any Minnesota resident can sign up. At this time we do not plan to have any vaccination clinics on campus.

Are there any restrictions on travel or gathering with people outside of my immediate household? 

There are no state-imposed restrictions on travel. However, we recommend that everyone get tested before and after traveling out-of-state, for example, home for Spring or Summer break. It is critical to be tested to learn if you are an asymptomatic carrier. Don’t wait until the last minute – get results back before traveling. See our website for a list of resources for getting tested.

The Chancellor of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities has imposed out of state travel restrictions on business travel. This impacts employees as well as travel for student clubs and groups. Student organizations should speak with the Dean of Students for guidance on current travel restrictions, as needed. 

What do I need to know about the college's COVID-19 Preparedness Plan?

Please download and review the COVID-19 Preparedness Plan (download PDF). Note that the plan may be updated and when/if a new plan is released, you will be notified by campus email.
Important highlights: The MSC Southeast COVID-19 Preparedness Plan calls for students, employees, and campus visitors to:

  • Take the COVID-19 Self-Assessment to screen for symptoms of the disease or exposure before entering buildings
  • Observe proper hand washing and respiratory etiquette
  • Wear face masks or cloth face coverings inside campus buildings
  • Maintain physical distancing of 6 feet or more

(back to top)  

Answers: Prospective Students

How can I meet with an Admissions Representative?

Our admissions representatives are available to meet with you by appointment. See our Campus Visits page for information and to sign up for a virtual or personal tour. 

Contact to set up an appointment or to find out about upcoming virtual open houses, video drop-in sessions, and other opportunities to learn about Southeast.

How can I complete placement testing?

Students may take the Accuplacer test remotely for no charge, and we are encouraging the use of remote testing whenever possible. Online Accuplacer testing is available through the use of Zoom proctoring. See the Assess Placement page for information on setting up your Accuplacer test.

Multiple criteria are being used for PSEO and Concurrent Enrollment (C2C) students for course placement. Please reach out to your high school counselor or MSC Southeast PSEO Advisors Patty ( or Jeannie ( to learn more.

Nursing students: See below for information about taking the TEAS for incoming nursing students.

(back to top

Answers: Academic Concerns

How can I get telephone support for technical issues during evening and weekend hours?

Minnesota State is providing technology support for students seven days a week by calling 844-456-3876 or visiting their Student Technology Help page. This page includes instructional guides, how-to videos, and more for StarID, D2L, Kaltura, Zoom, and Office 365.

How do I use Zoom for video meetings?

We have posted a number of instructional videos for using Zoom in The Roost section of the website on the Computer Lab and Assistance page.

Can I get tutoring in The Roost?

Yes, you can get tutoring in The Roost. Please use the scheduling system on the Tutoring web page to make an appointment. Tutoring will be conducted either in person or virtually over zoom depending upon topic and/or tutor preference.

What if I require accommodations and I need a test for a class proctored by The Roost?

We offer accommodated testing in The Roost. Please contact: 

How are PSEO and Concurrent Enrollment classes affected?

Minnesota State has published a PDF that provides statewide guidelines for PSEO and Concurrent Enrollment (C2C) classes: Download PDF

(back to top)  

Answers: Health and Wellness

Are mental health counseling services available?

Counseling appointments are currently being held by confidential telemedicine (virtual) meetings. See the Health and Wellness page to sign up for an appointment.  

Are there other mental health services available to me?

Optum is offering a free emotional support helpline for students. Their toll-free help line number, 866-342-6892, is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and the service is free of charge.  Students have access to specially trained mental health specialists to support them if they are experiencing anxiety or stress related to COVID-19.

In case of urgent mental health needs, all students have access to Crisis Response services, a 24-7 free service that provides over the phone or in-person mental health support. You can call them at 844-274-7472. (In a life-threatening emergency, call 911.)

Are health services at Winona State University available?

On-site and telehealth (virtual) health services are available for Winona campus students through Winona State University Health and Wellness Services, located in the Integrated Wellness Center. There is a nominal fee. Make an appointment prior to your visit by calling 507-457-5160. 

What if I need health insurance?

Visit to see if you are eligible, complete an application, and enroll in coverage. For assistance, the MNsure Contact Center is open between 8 am-4pm M-F 651-539-2099 or 855-366-7873. 

(back to top

Answers: Campus Services

What student services can I access and how?

The Student Affairs office (Registrar, Financial Aid, Admissions, Disability Services, Dean of Students Office, The Roost, and general student support) continues to be available to help support you. Some employees are working remotely, but there are consistently in-person staff available to help you on both campuses. Staff working remotely are still available during business hours through email, phone, and Zoom videoconferencing.

To speak with Student Affairs staff, please call or email the office that you are looking to contact and a staff member will respond to you and find the best way to connect with you. (See a list of Frequent College Contacts.) You may also call the College's main phone number (507-453-2700) or stop by the Front Desk to request assistance in connecting with a Student Affairs staff member.

Are the campus bookstores open?

Yes, the Bookstores are open. Online ordering for textbooks is highly encouraged to limit the amount of traffic in the bookstores. If you have questions, you may contact:  

Is there food available on campus?

The Winona bookstore has pre-packaged Deli Express items for purchase. 

In Red Wing, the Fast Food KKart is providing food service. 

The Food Pantries on both campuses are open, and you are encouraged to stop by if you need to use them (they are self-service).

(back to top

Information about TEAS Testing

For incoming MSC Southeast nursing students, MSC Southeast is offering TEAS testing with proctoring through Proctorio, an online testing system, and our on-staff proctors. Sign up for your test at ATI Testing and select the Red Wing Campus. 



The fee is approximately $97.00.  We recommend that you view the Student Quick Start Guide and Student Orientation Video on ATI's website. Also, sign up ahead of time so you can do a "dry run" with the proctor prior to testing. 

You will need your own computer with webcam, microphone, high-speed Internet, and Google Chrome. If you don't have access to the necessary technology you may come to campus, where a laptop will be provided. 

Contact us for assistance: 

(back to top)  

© 2021 Minnesota State College Southeast

RED WING CAMPUS | 308 Pioneer Road | Red Wing, MN 55066 | 651-385-6300
WINONA CAMPUS | 1250 Homer Road | Winona, MN 55987 | 507-453-2700

Minnesota State College Southeast is an affirmative action/equal opportunity educator and employer. ADA accessible. MSC Southeast is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment and education opportunity. No person shall be discriminated against in the terms and conditions of employment, personnel practices, or access to and participation in, programs, services, and activities with regard to race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or sexual orientation. In addition, discrimination in employment base on membership or activity in a local commission as defined by law is prohibited.


Minnnesota State Logo - vertical

Minnesota State College Southeast
A member of Minnesota State

This document is available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 877-853-8324 or 507-453-2700.