Winona Law Enforcement Center
Female Detention Deputies
o Posted: October
Law Enforcement Center
201 W 3rd St
Winona, MN 55987, USA
Winona County is accepting applications for this position until
4:00 p.m. November 2, 2020; however, preference will be given to those that
apply by 4:00 p.m. October 12, 2020.
This position starts at $21.87/hour (DOQ) with advancement up to
Under general supervision, an employee in this class performs skilled
professional law enforcement work in the administration and proper functioning
of the County Jail, including processing, supervising, and general care of
prisoners. The employee is responsible for jail security and prisoner care work
of routine difficulty, and performs related work as required. The work involves
an element of personal danger, and the employee must be able to act without
direct supervision and to exercise independent judgment in meeting emergencies.
Examples of Duties:
Any one position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples
include all the duties which may be found in positions of this class.
* Maintains security and order in the jail. May be responsible for random cell
searches, ensuring that all doors and locks are working.
* Lock inspections with manual and electric locks.
* Books all incoming prisoners, interviews to obtain pertinent information,
completes arrest forms, searches prisoners, secures personal property of
prisoners, issues jail clothing, takes photographs and fingerprints.
* Perform preliminary breath tests.
* Logs jail activities and completes incident reports.
* Receives and supervises all visitors and attorneys at the jail.
* Assists in supervising the daily activities of the prisoners, including their
feeding, medications, communications, and general care.
* Insures that jail area is kept clean, directing prison inmates on cleanup
activities. Make certain that all catwalks, supply cabinets, janitor room and
cage in garage are maintained and kept clean and in order.
* May be responsible for taking photos and keeping booking files in order and
up to date, make sure all are put away and signed out correctly when taken out
of the jail.
* Accepts fees or payments for bonding purposes, issues receipts or notices,
and keeps records of transactions on accounts for cash.
* Transports prisoners to and from court hearings, to medical and other
facilities as necessary. Arrange transports to detox, other jails, or juveniles
to shelter care.
* Receives training in applicable laws and ordinances and in law enforcement
principles and procedures as they relate to the duties of a Detention Deputy.
* Maintains accurate and current records of disposition of all prisoners in
custody of the County. Prepares reports as required.
* May serve as a bailiff to the Courts during all criminal trials and hearings,
performing courtroom duties, maintaining order and taking charge of prisoners.
* Employee may serve as a lead worker.
* Maintains Canteen System for inmate money.
* Any other duties as assigned.
NOTE: Specific gender may be required in some duties. (i.e., prisoner searches)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Any combination of training and experience providing the following knowledge,
skills, and abilities.
* High School graduate or equivalent.
* Ability to exhibit mature judgment, imagination, initiative, and
problem-solving capability in dealing with prisoners.
* Ability to deal with prisoners and the public with tact and impartiality.
* Ability to act effectively in emergency and stressful situations.
* Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
* Ability to communicate effectively verbally and to write factual reports.
* Ability to perform work requiring good physical condition.
* Ability to drive an automobile safely and efficiently.
* Possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
employees, law enforcement and other agencies and the public.
* Ability to meet necessary special requirements.
* Ability to provide effective and truthful testimony in court.
For full job classification including ADA requirements, click here.
copy of the benefit statement for this position, click here.