The Puzzle Challenge
Here is a fun puzzle to try. You are given two glasses. The first glass holds exactly 4 ounces. The second holds exactly 9 ounces.
Your task is to measure exactly 6 ounces of water in as few steps as possible.
You may only use the two glasses. You may not use a third container. You have an endless supply of water and can dump and fill the glasses as much as you like.
Can you solve the puzzle in less than ten steps? Email me back with the answer at email@example.com and I'll post the winners, along with the answers on the blog.
Bunny Novak takes the checkered flag for providing the answer first - in just 8 steps! I will post the answer in a day or so.
The following is a process to solve this puzzle in just 8 steps.
- Fill 9oz glass (9Glass=9, 4Glass=0)
- Fill 4oz glass from 9oz glass (9Glass=5, 4Glass=4)
- Dump 4oz glass (9Glass=5, 4Glass=0)
- Fill 4oz glass from 9oz glass (9Glass=1, 4Glass=4)
- Dump 4oz glass (9Glass=1, 4Glass=0)
- Pour remaining ounce into 4oz glass (9Glass=0, 4Glass=1)
- Fill 9oz glass (9Glass=9, 4Glass=1)
- Fill 4oz glass from 9oz glass (9Glass=6, 4Glass=4)