Amanda Griffin named Outstanding New Educator of the Year by Transportation Center of Excellence
Minnesota State College Southeast Automotive Technology Instructor Amanda Griffin has been named the Outstanding New Educator of the Year by the Minnesota State Transportation Center of Excellence.
Amanda Griffin is not only the lead instructor in MSC Southeast's Automotive Technology program, but she is also a graduate of the college. In 2006-2008, she obtained a diploma in Automotive Technology and an associate degree in Individualized studies. While taking general education courses she served as a lab assistant in the program. That's when Amanda first realized how much she enjoyed working with students.
Amanda gained experience in the automotive industry as an automotive technician for almost fourteen years, but always hoped that one day she would be able to come back to teaching. That opportunity presented itself in 2019 when she joined the faculty of Minnesota State College Southeast.
Having served as an auto center service writer and technician, driver's education instructor, and as a technician, Amanda has seen first-hand the challenges and opportunities that come with working in the industry. Her main goal in the program is to prepare students with the knowledge to make repairs correctly and efficiently, but more importantly to teach them the confidence to return cars that can be driven safely -- that every car represents a customer's life in their hands.
Additional awards presented for 2021 by the Transportation Center of Excellence included:
- Academic Professional of the Year: Leanne Pearson, St. Cloud Technical and Community College
- Exemplary College Program of the Year: Kevin Hyduke and Wayne Trenholm, Hibbing Community College, Automotive Technology Program
- Hall of Fame: Dale Derung, St. Cloud Technical and Community College
- Outstanding Educator of the Year; Jeff Schneider, Moorhead High School
- Program Supporter of the Year - Individual: Judell Anderson, AASP-MN
- Program Supporter of the Year - Business: Brenny Transportation
"Congratulations to all of these well deserving individuals! We are proud to sponsor these awards to showcase all of the wonderful work happening across our state," said Cassidy Jelen, TCOE Project Coordinator.
A formal presentation of the awards will take place at the Midwest Teachers of Transportation and Industrial Areas conference in August.