About Southeast Technical

College History

1949
The second public vocational-technical school in the State of Minnesota is founded in Winona.

1966
The building at 1250 Homer Road in Winona is funded. In the fall of 1967, the Homer Road facility opened its doors to students.

1971
The Winona facility expanded and its capacity doubled.

1971
Red Wing became the 34th and final community in Minnesota to be awarded an Area Vocational Technical Institute.

1973
The Red Wing facility at 308 Pioneer Road opened its doors to students.

1978
The Red Wing Energy Center was established.

1984
A 25,000 square-foot student center was completed in Winona and provided additional services to students.

1989
The Minnesota Technical Institute System, which includes Red Wing and Winona, became the Minnesota Technical College System.

1992
A new 73,000 square-foot Aviation Training Center opened in Winona.

1992
The merger of Red Wing Technical College and Winona Technical College was completed.

1995
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) was created as a result of the merger of the Technical College System, the State University System, and the Community College System under a single governing board.

1995
Red Wing/Winona Technical College received accreditation from the North Central Association.

1999
Red Wing/Winona Technical College became Minnesota State College-Southeast Technical.

2000
The College is granted a 10-year re-accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association.

2003
Southeast Technical becomes the second college in the Minnesota State College and University System to be awarded distance accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, allowing the institution to offer certificates, diplomas and degrees online.

2005
Fastenal Company and Southeast Technical collaborate to design a new specialized degree program. The Higher Learning Commission approves an A.A.S (Associate in Applied Science) degree in Industrial Distribution for Fastenal employees.

Southeast Technical joins alliance with Winona State University, Rochester Community and Technical College, Pine Technical College and Ridgewater College, as one of four system designated "Centers of Excellence." These five institutions, along with Benedictine Health System, Olmsted Medical Center, Olmsted Public Health, Winona Health and the Rochester and Winona Public Schools, form the Center for Integrated Health Science Education and Practice.

2006
A $4.3 million major renovation of Homer Road campus in Winona begins.

2007
A $5.1 million major renovation of Red Wing campus begins.

2008
Southeast Technical and Winona State University collaborate to offer an A.A. degree.

2009 
14001 ISO Environmental Certification is approved.

2010 
College is granted a 7-year re-accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association.

2011 
The Winona Airport campus building is sold to leverage new construction on the Homer road campus.

2012 
A 25,000-square-foot addition includes state-of-the-art paint booths and automotive technology shop.
Partnership agreement with Quzhou College of Technology is signed.