Business Management Skills Guide
Recommended High School level background courses
• Meet math entrance requirements
• Business writing
• Reading comprehension
• Business computer applications
• Intro to Business
• Business Law
Basic skills in the program and on the job:
Strong reading skills are needed for success within this program. Students will be required to read articles on the web, trade journals, and management textbooks. Their homework and tests will be based on lectures, text materials, case problems and articles.
Students will be required to use proper English grammar, spelling, and sentence structure in all of their homework assignments and research papers. They will be required to speak about their ideas in front of the entire class or in small group discussions. They may need to lead team meetings in the workforce.
Math skills are needed in several courses throughout the program for accomplishing statistical problem solving.
Managerial ethics are important throughout the courses of this program. Students need strong time management skills, reasoning skills, problem solving skills for success within this program. The ability to deal effectively with all types of people is a vital skill for managers.
• Perform the four fundamental functions of management – planning, leading, organizing, and controlling within their chosen organizational environment.
• Communicating both up and down their organizational hierarchy.
• Build their unit of people into an effective team.
• Ability to view the big picture strategies of their business.
• Able to follow human resource and business laws within their work environment.
• Promote continuous improvement techniques, good customer service, and productivity within their department.
• Team Lead
• Front line supervisor
• Middle management
Skills covered in Business Management coursework
• Planning, leading organizing and controlling
• Problem solving
• Strong customer relations
• Continuous improvement and the role of quality at work
• Coaching workers to enhance productivity
• Basic overview of budgeting and cost control
• Motivational theories
• Human resource legalities
• Leadership development skills